DQ’s Dispute Resolution team has considerable experience in assisting and representing clients in the Isle of Man High Court in a broad range of disputes arising out of all types of commercial activity. We seek to understand at an early stage the issues at hand and adopting a tailored approach to achieve the client’s commercial objectives.
Our team has experience in a wide range of commercial disputes, including acting in claims relating to debt recovery, contractual and professional negligence, shareholder disputes, banking litigation, breach of directors’ duties, funds litigation and the enforcement of foreign judgments.
DQ’s Dispute Resolution team have market-leading individuals who will vigorously pursue matters so far as necessary whilst maintaining a diligent, cost-effective and responsive approach towards litigation. However, we recognise that many clients are often keen to avoid formal litigation and to preserve a commercial relationship, and in these circumstances we encourage the exploration of alternative avenues for resolving disputes, such as mediation.
Some recent examples of our work in this area include:
- Advising on a multi-million pound claim related to allegations of fraudulent breaches of directors’ duties in the context of a property development.
- Acting for a Manx company in pursuing a $15million claim regarding a loan facility granted in respect of a Manx-registered private aircraft.
- Acting in a $3million claim against corporate directors in defending a claim alleging a breach of their director’s duties.
- Successfully obtaining judgment in defended unsecured debt recovery proceedings for over £2.5million, which after a number of appeals ultimately resulted in obtaining an order for the bankruptcy of the defendant.
- Acting in a complex breach of contract case set against a background of mineral exploration in Southeast Asia.
- Acting on a number of occasions to obtain an order from Court to sanction a scheme of arrangement under the Companies Act 2006.
- Successfully striking-out on appeal a £28 million claim against a corporate director of a company on the basis that there was no duty of care.
- Acting for major financial institutions on the Isle of Man in respect of mortgage recovery and pursuit of personal guarantees.
- Successfully defending an application to set-aside a default costs certificate.