Staff ProfileAnnemarie Hughes is a director and heads DQ’s Private Client, Trusts and Pensions team.
Director / Head of Private Client, Trusts & Pensions
Annemarie Hughes is a director and heads DQ’s Private Client, Trusts & Pensions team.
Annemarie has significant experience advising private clients/HNWIs, TCSP’s and insurance and pensions companies on complex trust, pensions and private client matters, both domestic and international.
Annemarie’s specialist areas of practice are:
• Private Client
• Regulatory and tax investigations
• Probate & Wills
Annemarie regularly presents at international and domestic conferences for leading conference organisers on all aspects of trust law, pensions, foundations, tax information exchange agreements and investigations.
Annemarie is a Chartered Tax Adviser and is STEP qualified (including STEP Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes).
Notable cases in which Annemarie has been involved:
• Advises trust companies on complex contentious and non-contentious trust matters involving Isle of Man trusts and foundations.
• Advises in relation to complex trust and private client matters involving international clients and Isle of Man fiduciaries, including advising trustees in applications to the High Court in respect of international freezing injunctions, claims against trusts by trustees in bankruptcy and applying to Court for directions.
• Advised in relation to United States IRS and Department of Justice investigations involving Isle of Man companies and trusts including attending formal interviews as advisor with United States authorities
Notable publications to which Annemarie has contributed:
• Bloomsbury Publishing – Planning and Administration of Offshore and Onshore Trusts – Isle of Man Chapter;
• Chambers & Partners – Private Wealth Guide – Isle of Man Chapter;
• Lexis Nexis – Private Client Jurisdictional Guide – Isle of Man Chapter;
• Lexis Nexis – Offshore Tax – Isle of Man Chapter; and
• STEP Journal
Annemarie is listed in the following publications:
• Legal Week Private Client Global Elite Directory 2019
• Legal 500 2019 as a Leading Individual in Private Client, Trusts and Tax
• Legal 500 Hall of Fame Private Client, Tax and Trust
• Legal 500 2019 as a Leading Individual in Insurance & Pensions
• Legal 500 Hall of Fame Insurance & Pensions
• Chambers HNW – ranked lawyer
• Citywealth Leaders List 2018 – Annemarie is recognised as a leading offshore trust lawyer
• Citywealth Powerwomen – Annemarie is included in the IFC 2019 Powerwomen Top 200 list
• Who’s Who Legal Private Client 2019
Annemarie is a member of the following professional bodies:
• Director of the Isle of Man branch of STEP
• Member of ITPA