Staff ProfileJoshua is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution department.
He is an English qualified Solicitor and gained Higher Rights of audience becoming a Solicitor Advocate in England and Wales in 2015 before returning to the Island to requalify as an Advocate.
Joshua is a highly regarded trial advocate specialising in employment, commercial and property litigation.
Joshua is the Chair of the Junior Lawyers’ Association, an organisation for trainee and newly qualified
Advocates which gives opportunities to young lawyers for socials, networking and education events.
Some notable cases in which Joshua has recently acted in include:
- Stevens v Davies – 2022 unreported Staff of Government Appeal
A recent Appeal following an unsuccessful Application for the rectification of the Status Quo.
- Martin Webb v Raymond and Hillary – 2022 unreported High Court matter
Successfully acted for the Defendants in their Counterclaim for ownership of land of historical interest in Dalby; a World War two bunker. This is believed to be the first case before the High Court to successfully
rectify and error on the title register pursuant section 65(1) of the Land Registration Act 1982 with reference to sub-section 65(3).
Press coverage: https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/courts/land-dispute-over-a-second-world-war-bunker-556795
- The Estate of Harvey v Harvey and Otrs – 2022 unreported High Court matter Successfully acted for the Defendants in their Counterclaim for (i) Constructive Trust, (ii) proprietary estoppel and (iii) Protected Tenancy under the Agricultural Holdings Act 1969.
- MRP International Ltd & Otr v Maciver & Otr (Ord)  MLR N-12
A recent case on setting aside default costs certificates.
- Pye v Douglas Borough Council (EET) 2021 N-11
Successfully acted for the Complainant in a high profile claim for unlawful deductions under the Employment Act 2006.
Press coverage: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-56510463
- Mark Versluijs v Department of Home Affairs (Fire and Rescue Service) – unreported EET
Successfully acted for the Complainant in a high profile claim for unfair dismissal following protected disclosures (colloquially known as “whistleblowing”) and subsequent detriment claims under the
Employment Act 2006.
Press coverage: https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/999/firefighter-cleared-of-monkey-chant-racism-233849